Our colorways are kettle-dyed (in large pots of heated water) or hand-painted (low-immersion dyed in large pans with small amounts of hot water). They can be grouped into three categories: semisolid colorways, tonal colorways, and variegated colorways. All skeins are 1 3/4-2 yards in circumference.
- Our semisolid colorways are all one color, with only slight variation when knit up. They are not solid colors, but are close to it.
- Our tonal colorways have shades of one color of multiple colors in the same color family. They have short color repeats that will knit up in subtly random patterns. Skeins are dyed using glazing techniques (overdyed multiple times to achieve great depth of color) and/or hand-painted.
- Our variegated colorways are either kettle-dyed or hand-painted and have multiple colors.
- Our kettle-dyed variegated colorways have long color repeats that will have an obvious multicolored pattern when knit up. Skeins are dyed in separate sections that range from 4 to 12 inches long. Those colorways with fewer colors will have longer sections and may knit into stripes with the right pattern, but are not designed to be self-striping.
- Our hand-painted variegated colorways have short color repeats with a more subtle variegated pattern. Colors blend into each other more than with our kettle-dyed colorways, and because the dye is applied more randomly, there can be quit a bit more variation between skeins in the same or different dyelots.
All skeins are dyed in batches of 5 or less. If you need more than 5 skeins for a project it is sometimes possible for us to do 6-10 skeins per dyelot, depending on the colorway.
Please remember that each skein is dyed by hand, so there can be some variation both between and within dyelots (especially with hand-painted colorways, as mentioned above). As always, it's important to order enough yarn for your project at once, and to alternate skeins when knitting in order to minimize any variation between skeins.
Materials and Environmental Impact
We use professional-grade, wash-fast and light-fast acid dyes, along with Organic food-grade citric acid (the yarn will not smell like vinegar), to dye our yarns. We have developed specific formulas that leave minimal amounts of dye behind afterward, so the dyes we use are safe for us, you, and the environment. We also employ low-water-usage dye techniques, regularly reuse water in order to minimize the water used in the dyeing process, and drip dry the yarns (outside in warm weather and inside in cool weather). In addition, all of our shipping materials are recyclable.
Our yarns are available wholesale to retailers, c-ops, and high-volume indie artisans. You can view our colorways and yarns here on our website. For a copy of our policies and price list please send us your shop information (including EIN #). We would love to hear from you!
We are happy to offer yarn support to pattern designers, as our schedule allows. If you have a pattern in mind that you think would be perfect for our yarn, please message or email us.
where to find our yarn
We no longer offer Dyed to Order, but our Etsy shop is updated twice a month with in-stock yarns, and also carries Yarn Club memberships. You're welcome to contact us with a colorway or yarn that you hope to see in the shop, but we cannot guarantee that a colorway will be available, sorry. If you're looking for something specific than we recommend searching in stashes on Ravelry for people selling/trading yarn, and checking with our retailers.
Depending on what you're looking for, and how full our dye schedule is, we may be able to dye custom colorways of at least 5 skeins, of the same yarn and colorway. Please contact us with your idea!